Poetry Corner- O Sweet Irrational Worship

O Sweet Irrational Worship

by Thomas Merton





Wind and a bobwhite

And the afternoon sun.


By ceasing to question the sun

I have become light,


Bird and wind.

My leaves sing.


I am earth, earth


All these lighted things

Grow from my heart.


A tall, spare pine

Stands like the initial of my first

Name when I had one.


When I had a spirit,

When I was on fire

When this valley was

Made out of fresh air

You spoke my name

In naming Your silence:

O sweet, irrational worship!


I am earth, earth


My heart's love

Bursts with hay and flowers.

I am a lake of blue air

In which my own appointed place

Field and valley

Stand reflected.


I am earth, earth


Out of my grass heart

Rises the bobwhite.


Out of my nameless weeds

His foolish worship.



To see May's Poem, click here.
To see April's Poem, click here.
To see March's Poem, click here.
To see February's poem, click here.
To see January's poem, click here.
To see the poem for December, 2008, click here.
To read a poem by Steve Turner, click here.

No comments: